Ajit Singh praises Biju Patnaik
Bhubaneswar: Hailing late Odisha chief minister Biju Patnaik as a great patriot and a true nationalist, Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh today said flying was a passion and pleasure for the leader.
"Flying was Biju Babu`s passion .. And his pleasure, nationalism flew in his blood and veins," Singh who was inaugurating a new domestic terminal at the Biju Patnaik Airport here on the 97th anniversary of the former Odisha chief minister. His comment brought cheers and claps from the gathering.
The event was organised by Airport Authority of India (AAI).
Biju Patnaik joined Royal Indian Air Force at the start of the second World War and used air force transports to deliver nationalist literature to Indian troops.
?"He airlifted the first Indian soldiers to Srinagar shortly after Independence when Pakistan invaded Kashmir," he said narrating the acts of bravery of the leader whom he fondly referred to as `Biju Dada`.
Patnaik, he said, flew to Java in his Dakota amidst heavy bombarding by Dutch forces during the freedom struggle of Indonesia and brought Sultan Sjahrir to India, who was sent at the behest of President Sukarno to attend first Inter-Asia Conference organised by Jawahar Lal Nehru in July 1947.
Sultan Sjahrir was eventually successful in his mission of freedom. "Biju Babu was given honorary citizenship of Indonesia and awarded `Bhoomi Putra`, the highest Indonesian award and a rare distinction."
Striking an emotional link, Singh said "I am presently staying in a house in Delhi which has been vacated by Biju Dada."
"I also remember him as Union Minister for steel and mines in the government of my father Choudhury Charan Singh. My sat sat naman to the architect and builder of modern Odisha, a great patriot and nationalist Biju Babu," he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India