BJD leader demands CBI probe into coal block allocations
Bhubanesar: Demanding a CBI probe into the role of Odisha government in coal block allocations to private companies, senior BJP leader Bijay Mohapatra on Saturday alleged that the BJD government did not follow norms.
"The BJD government headed by Naveen Patnaik is not above suspicion. The government maintained no procedure while recommending names of private companies for coal block allocations. Recommendations were made for private companies having no MoUs with the state government," Mohapatra told reporters here.
Mohapatra said that though 334 applcations were made for coal blocks, the state government recommended names of only 52 companies, including those which did not have MoUs with the state government.
"What is the parameter of selecting beneficiaries? Was there a screening committee or whether the companies technical partners and financial base was verified before making such recommendations," Mohapatra asked.
The senior BJP leader claimed that the state government recommended coal block allocation for Jindal Steel and Power Limited (JSPL) on February 2, 2009, a day before the Election Commission of India held a meeting of political parties for the general elections.
"The state government also made recommendation in favour of Tatas for a coal block on July 24, 2008," he said.
Alleging that the state government had violated its own Industrial Policy Resolution, the BJP leader and former minister questioned the motive of the chief minister as both recommendations were made prior to the general elections in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars