Centre to help flood-hit Odisha
New Delhi: With several rivers in Odisha in spate, Centre on Thursday assured all help to the state to tackle the situation caused by floods which has affected vast areas.
Home Minister Rajnath Singh said he had telephonic talk with Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik and has assured him all possible help from the Centre. He told the Lok Sabha that teams of the National Disaster Response Force have already reached the state.
The issue was raised by BJD leader B Mahtab in the Zero Hour.
He said Odisha was reeling under serious flood with Mahanadi under spate and this has affected five districts, including Cuttack, Kendrapara, Jagatsinghpur and Puri.
Other rivers like Subarnarekha, Baitarani and Brahmani were also in spate and the state government has shifted about 15 lakh people.
He said the situation could turn to worse if any breach takes place and sought all necessary help from the Centre in rescue, relief and rehabilitation.
Floods triggered by heavy rain in the past week have hit thousands of people in Odisha, with several rivers including the Mahanadi crossing the danger mark.
Badruddin Ajmal (AIUDF) also made a strong plea for the Centre to tackle the serious problem of erosion in Assam rivers which has affected several parts of the state, washing away many villages in South Salmara region of lower Assam`s Dhubri district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Flood situation remains grim in Bihar, eases in Madhya Pradesh
- Don't let India use your soil against us, Pakistan tells Afghanistan
- Congress rushes in defence of 'sidelined' AAP Punjab convener
- Bad time continues for banks; Kingfisher Airlines brands auction fails again
- Punjab seeks CBI probe in shooting of RSS leader