Chit fund scam: Odisha Police arrests 2 Saradha group employees
Bhubaneswar: After nabbing over 160 people across Odisha on charges of running or helping illegal money laundering, the Economic Offence Wing (EOW) of the Crime Branch (CB), arrested two employees of Saradha Group on Thursday.
The EOW took Basudev Samal and BN Das into custody on charge of helping Saradha group chief to cheat gullible investors in Balasore district.
While Samal was working as the branch manager of Saradha group`s Balasore office, Das has been the company`s liasoning officer.
Though police had earlier sealed Saradha`s office at Balasore and Puri towns, this was for the first time it arrested two of its employees, Crime Branch DIG Rajesh Kumar said.
Crime Branch was also attempting to bring Saradha group chief Sudipta Sen and company`s director Debajani Mukherjee on remand, Kumar said adding that the CB was processing legal formalities for the move.
Meanwhile, the state witnessed several demonstrations by investors demanding return of their money.
Earlier, the state police had arrested Pradipta Sethi, chief of Artha Tatwa group, another non-banking financial institution operating in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur