Chit fund scam: Odisha Police arrests 2 Saradha group employees
Bhubaneswar: After nabbing over 160 people across Odisha on charges of running or helping illegal money laundering, the Economic Offence Wing (EOW) of the Crime Branch (CB), arrested two employees of Saradha Group on Thursday.
The EOW took Basudev Samal and BN Das into custody on charge of helping Saradha group chief to cheat gullible investors in Balasore district.
While Samal was working as the branch manager of Saradha group`s Balasore office, Das has been the company`s liasoning officer.
Though police had earlier sealed Saradha`s office at Balasore and Puri towns, this was for the first time it arrested two of its employees, Crime Branch DIG Rajesh Kumar said.
Crime Branch was also attempting to bring Saradha group chief Sudipta Sen and company`s director Debajani Mukherjee on remand, Kumar said adding that the CB was processing legal formalities for the move.
Meanwhile, the state witnessed several demonstrations by investors demanding return of their money.
Earlier, the state police had arrested Pradipta Sethi, chief of Artha Tatwa group, another non-banking financial institution operating in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence