Chit fund scam: Odisha Police arrests 2 Saradha group employees
Bhubaneswar: After nabbing over 160 people across Odisha on charges of running or helping illegal money laundering, the Economic Offence Wing (EOW) of the Crime Branch (CB), arrested two employees of Saradha Group on Thursday.
The EOW took Basudev Samal and BN Das into custody on charge of helping Saradha group chief to cheat gullible investors in Balasore district.
While Samal was working as the branch manager of Saradha group`s Balasore office, Das has been the company`s liasoning officer.
Though police had earlier sealed Saradha`s office at Balasore and Puri towns, this was for the first time it arrested two of its employees, Crime Branch DIG Rajesh Kumar said.
Crime Branch was also attempting to bring Saradha group chief Sudipta Sen and company`s director Debajani Mukherjee on remand, Kumar said adding that the CB was processing legal formalities for the move.
Meanwhile, the state witnessed several demonstrations by investors demanding return of their money.
Earlier, the state police had arrested Pradipta Sethi, chief of Artha Tatwa group, another non-banking financial institution operating in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- Pakistan Daily calls Nawaz Sharif's statement on Kashmir 'wishful thinking and unrealistic'
- Hungarian Grand Prix: Record fifth win sends Lewis Hamilton top
- Olympian predicts record medal haul from Indian shooters at 2016 Rio Games
- Watch video: NASA's SDO captures solar material bursting from the sun!
- Salaries to go up 10.7%, star performers to gain handsomely: Study