Chit fund scam: Odisha Police arrests 2 Saradha group employees
Bhubaneswar: After nabbing over 160 people across Odisha on charges of running or helping illegal money laundering, the Economic Offence Wing (EOW) of the Crime Branch (CB), arrested two employees of Saradha Group on Thursday.
The EOW took Basudev Samal and BN Das into custody on charge of helping Saradha group chief to cheat gullible investors in Balasore district.
While Samal was working as the branch manager of Saradha group`s Balasore office, Das has been the company`s liasoning officer.
Though police had earlier sealed Saradha`s office at Balasore and Puri towns, this was for the first time it arrested two of its employees, Crime Branch DIG Rajesh Kumar said.
Crime Branch was also attempting to bring Saradha group chief Sudipta Sen and company`s director Debajani Mukherjee on remand, Kumar said adding that the CB was processing legal formalities for the move.
Meanwhile, the state witnessed several demonstrations by investors demanding return of their money.
Earlier, the state police had arrested Pradipta Sethi, chief of Artha Tatwa group, another non-banking financial institution operating in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Lemon: An ideal ingredient for your glowing skin, good health
- 'Baar Baar Dekho' promotions: Katrina Kaif-Sidharth Malhotra stun with their chemistry on 'Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa'
- Pleasant music helps employees turn in better performances: Study
- Unbelievable! Airtel offers 10 GB 4G data at just Rs 250
- Using Facebook, Twitter may cut BP, diabetes in elderly