Congress` bid to remove Odisha Speaker falters
Bhubaneswar: The Congress` bid to oust Odisha Assembly Speaker Pradip Kumat Amat on Wednesday suffered a jolt as its notice for adoption of a resolution was rejected for failing to garner the support of at least 28 members of the House.
The notice with signature of 27 Congress MLAs was taken up for consideration by the House after completion of stipulated 14 working days gap.
However, the notice fell through as according to rules and procedure of the OLA (Odisha Legislative Assembly), it required support of at least 28 members for such a resolution.
Congress failed to meet the magic figure of 28 as two of its MLAs Mamata Madhi and Nihar Ranjan Mahananda were found to be absent. It, however, got the support from two Independent MLAs - Jitu Patnaik and Braja Pradhan.
Congress MLA Basudev Majhi, who was brought to the House in a wheel chair stood in support of the party`s notice seeking removal of the Speaker.
Later, senior Congress member S S Saluja said, "We will certainly draw the attention of the party high command in regard to the absence of the two MLAs."
Congress Chief Whip Prasad Harichandan, who had served the notice on behalf of the party, said "We have brought this notice against the Speaker in order to apprise the people of Odisha that Assembly rules are violated by him."
Speaker Pradip Kumar Amat remained in his chamber when the notice was taken up for consideration and the House was presided over by Nrushinga Sahu, a member of the presiding officers panel.
He returned to the House after the Congress notice was rejected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery