Congress` bid to remove Odisha Speaker falters
Bhubaneswar: The Congress` bid to oust Odisha Assembly Speaker Pradip Kumat Amat on Wednesday suffered a jolt as its notice for adoption of a resolution was rejected for failing to garner the support of at least 28 members of the House.
The notice with signature of 27 Congress MLAs was taken up for consideration by the House after completion of stipulated 14 working days gap.
However, the notice fell through as according to rules and procedure of the OLA (Odisha Legislative Assembly), it required support of at least 28 members for such a resolution.
Congress failed to meet the magic figure of 28 as two of its MLAs Mamata Madhi and Nihar Ranjan Mahananda were found to be absent. It, however, got the support from two Independent MLAs - Jitu Patnaik and Braja Pradhan.
Congress MLA Basudev Majhi, who was brought to the House in a wheel chair stood in support of the party`s notice seeking removal of the Speaker.
Later, senior Congress member S S Saluja said, "We will certainly draw the attention of the party high command in regard to the absence of the two MLAs."
Congress Chief Whip Prasad Harichandan, who had served the notice on behalf of the party, said "We have brought this notice against the Speaker in order to apprise the people of Odisha that Assembly rules are violated by him."
Speaker Pradip Kumar Amat remained in his chamber when the notice was taken up for consideration and the House was presided over by Nrushinga Sahu, a member of the presiding officers panel.
He returned to the House after the Congress notice was rejected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- It may soon be time to say goodbye to dripping ice cream cones!
- Learn how much exercise you need to prevent death
- Scorpene leak: Data includes details on missile likely to be used in submarines
- West Indies vs India, 2nd T20I: Wet outfield denies MS Dhoni & Co chance to level series
- Two minors held for gang-raping minor in Delhi