Congress` bid to remove Odisha Speaker falters
Bhubaneswar: The Congress` bid to oust Odisha Assembly Speaker Pradip Kumat Amat on Wednesday suffered a jolt as its notice for adoption of a resolution was rejected for failing to garner the support of at least 28 members of the House.
The notice with signature of 27 Congress MLAs was taken up for consideration by the House after completion of stipulated 14 working days gap.
However, the notice fell through as according to rules and procedure of the OLA (Odisha Legislative Assembly), it required support of at least 28 members for such a resolution.
Congress failed to meet the magic figure of 28 as two of its MLAs Mamata Madhi and Nihar Ranjan Mahananda were found to be absent. It, however, got the support from two Independent MLAs - Jitu Patnaik and Braja Pradhan.
Congress MLA Basudev Majhi, who was brought to the House in a wheel chair stood in support of the party`s notice seeking removal of the Speaker.
Later, senior Congress member S S Saluja said, "We will certainly draw the attention of the party high command in regard to the absence of the two MLAs."
Congress Chief Whip Prasad Harichandan, who had served the notice on behalf of the party, said "We have brought this notice against the Speaker in order to apprise the people of Odisha that Assembly rules are violated by him."
Speaker Pradip Kumar Amat remained in his chamber when the notice was taken up for consideration and the House was presided over by Nrushinga Sahu, a member of the presiding officers panel.
He returned to the House after the Congress notice was rejected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'