Congress demands impartial probe into blast in Posco area
Bhubaneswar: Expressing shock at the death of three people in a bomb explosion at the proposed Posco plant site, Congress on Sunday asked Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik to take effective steps to prevent `bloodbath` in the area and shift the proposed project elsewhere.
"The Chief Minister should show some concern for the loss of human lives. We are saddened by the plight of people who continue to suffer due to the apathy of the state government. This must end," Odisha Pradesh Congress Committee president Niranjan Patnaik said in a statement.
"We have said earlier also, and we repeat, shift the plant site to another nearby locality which is not too far away from the present one and is also vacant," he said.
Congress has always maintained this and last month a 17-member delegation had submitted a memorandum to Governor M C Bhandare demanding immediate steps to stop alleged police atrocities and `goondaraj` of ruling BJD activists, Patnaik said.
The state government has failed to keep its promise that there would not be forcible acquisition of land for the steel project and the administration has been evicting people with the help of police, the OPCC chief said.
The Congress leader also asked police to refrain from accusing people before it has conducted a preliminary inquiry.
"Please conduct an inquiry before you accuse people," Patnaik said.
3 anti-project activists were killed on Saturday while allegedly making bombs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...