Congress demands impartial probe into blast in Posco area
Bhubaneswar: Expressing shock at the death of three people in a bomb explosion at the proposed Posco plant site, Congress on Sunday asked Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik to take effective steps to prevent `bloodbath` in the area and shift the proposed project elsewhere.
"The Chief Minister should show some concern for the loss of human lives. We are saddened by the plight of people who continue to suffer due to the apathy of the state government. This must end," Odisha Pradesh Congress Committee president Niranjan Patnaik said in a statement.
"We have said earlier also, and we repeat, shift the plant site to another nearby locality which is not too far away from the present one and is also vacant," he said.
Congress has always maintained this and last month a 17-member delegation had submitted a memorandum to Governor M C Bhandare demanding immediate steps to stop alleged police atrocities and `goondaraj` of ruling BJD activists, Patnaik said.
The state government has failed to keep its promise that there would not be forcible acquisition of land for the steel project and the administration has been evicting people with the help of police, the OPCC chief said.
The Congress leader also asked police to refrain from accusing people before it has conducted a preliminary inquiry.
"Please conduct an inquiry before you accuse people," Patnaik said.
3 anti-project activists were killed on Saturday while allegedly making bombs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India