Dowry case: Mohanty removed from post of BJD vice-president
Bhubaneswar: Hours after being arrested in a torture for dowry case, former Odisha minister Raghunath Mohanty was on Saturday removed as BJD vice-president.
"BJD president Naveen Patnaik has removed Basta MLA Raghunath Mohanty from the post of BJD vice-president," a press release issued by the party said.
He was arrested along with his wife Pritilata from West Bengal during the day and remanded to judicial custody till April 2 after evading the police for a fortnight since the dowry torture case was slapped by his daughter-in-law.
The five-time MLA from Basta in Balasore district had a meteoric rise in the party and became one of the five vice-presidents for his proximity with the party chief. He was given the post in recent BJD organisational poll.
Earlier in the day, Patnaik told reporters in Delhi that the party was seriosuly considering whether to allow Mohanty continue in the party post.
Elected as Janata Dal candidate in 1990 and 1995, he had successfully contested elections from Basta seat as BJD candidate in 2000, 2004 and 2009 elections.
He had resigned from the ministry on March 15, a day after his daughter-in-law Basra Swony Choudhury lodged a dowry torture case against him and four members of his family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27