Five held, weapons seized in Odisha village
Berhampur (Odisha): Five more persons have been arrested and huge quantities of weapons seized today from Uladan village of Odisha`s Ganjam district which witnessed clash between a group of villagers and police, injuring at least six persons, including five cops on Monday.
The number of arrested persons rose to 15 and police also searched to nab several others allegedly involved in the attack on a police team, said sub divisional police officer, Bhanajanagar R Ch Sethi.
Police also seized weapons like swords and knives from the village while conducting a raid to recover a revolver snatched from the police and which is still missing, he said.
As many people have fled the village fearing arrest after the incident, police forces were deployed there, he said.
The situation had turned tense on Monday when villagers attacked the police team, including inspector in-charge (IIC), Tarsingi police station, two assistant sub inspectors of police and three constables with the sharp weapons while they were going to the village to arrest two accused persons involved in two earlier cases, police said.
Policemen opened fire to disperse the armed mob in self-defence and the mob then snatched away the revolver of a policeman and shot at them, police said.
The condition of all injured persons, including the police officers who were under going treatment at MKCG Medical College and Hospital, here and Bhanjanagar are stated to be stable, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam