Five held, weapons seized in Odisha village
Berhampur (Odisha): Five more persons have been arrested and huge quantities of weapons seized today from Uladan village of Odisha`s Ganjam district which witnessed clash between a group of villagers and police, injuring at least six persons, including five cops on Monday.
The number of arrested persons rose to 15 and police also searched to nab several others allegedly involved in the attack on a police team, said sub divisional police officer, Bhanajanagar R Ch Sethi.
Police also seized weapons like swords and knives from the village while conducting a raid to recover a revolver snatched from the police and which is still missing, he said.
As many people have fled the village fearing arrest after the incident, police forces were deployed there, he said.
The situation had turned tense on Monday when villagers attacked the police team, including inspector in-charge (IIC), Tarsingi police station, two assistant sub inspectors of police and three constables with the sharp weapons while they were going to the village to arrest two accused persons involved in two earlier cases, police said.
Policemen opened fire to disperse the armed mob in self-defence and the mob then snatched away the revolver of a policeman and shot at them, police said.
The condition of all injured persons, including the police officers who were under going treatment at MKCG Medical College and Hospital, here and Bhanjanagar are stated to be stable, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`