Five held, weapons seized in Odisha village
Berhampur (Odisha): Five more persons have been arrested and huge quantities of weapons seized today from Uladan village of Odisha`s Ganjam district which witnessed clash between a group of villagers and police, injuring at least six persons, including five cops on Monday.
The number of arrested persons rose to 15 and police also searched to nab several others allegedly involved in the attack on a police team, said sub divisional police officer, Bhanajanagar R Ch Sethi.
Police also seized weapons like swords and knives from the village while conducting a raid to recover a revolver snatched from the police and which is still missing, he said.
As many people have fled the village fearing arrest after the incident, police forces were deployed there, he said.
The situation had turned tense on Monday when villagers attacked the police team, including inspector in-charge (IIC), Tarsingi police station, two assistant sub inspectors of police and three constables with the sharp weapons while they were going to the village to arrest two accused persons involved in two earlier cases, police said.
Policemen opened fire to disperse the armed mob in self-defence and the mob then snatched away the revolver of a policeman and shot at them, police said.
The condition of all injured persons, including the police officers who were under going treatment at MKCG Medical College and Hospital, here and Bhanjanagar are stated to be stable, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez