Girl from a family of masons turns wrestler
Ranchi: She comes from a family of masons in Odisha`s Dhenkanal district but she was attracted towards wrestling.
"Since my childhood I have always seen my father working with bricks and cement at construction sites. When my father saw me wrestling with girls of my age, he encouraged me," 24-year-old Rambha Sahu said.
Rambha`s interest in the sport took wings when a selection team was impressed with her physique and talent, and admitted her in the SAI hostel in 2003.
She was provided scholarship of Rs 500 per month and school uniform.
"My coach (Bhatt) taught me wrestling skills till he was transferred to another place. And then I was trained by national coach Sib Charan Bose till he retired in 2007.
"Thereafter, I continued to practice with a couple of other girls. Finally my dream to represent the country ended when the hostel was closed permanently," she said.
But Rambha never gave up in her pursuit to make wrestling a career. "I enrolled in Indira Gandhi Open University to continue both studies and wrestling."
She said, "I represented the state and university competitions. Though I won medals at university and inter-district levels, I failed a podium finish at national championships due to physically superior girls from Punjab, Rajasthan, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh, who get good help from their respective state governments."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read