Judicial probe into chit fund scam ploy to buy time: BJP
Bhubaneswar: BJP on Tuesday slammed the ruling BJD in Odisha, saying the judicial probe ordered by it into the chit fund scam was a ploy to buy time even as the party activists held statewide demonstrations and burnt effigies of Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik and other ministers.
By ignoring the demand for a CBI probe into the scam and ordering a judicial inquiry, BJD is aiming only at delaying the process, state BJP president K V Singhdeo said at meetings in Mayurbhanj district organised by the party as part of its statewide `Sankal Yatra` against the BJD rule.
Singhdeo alleged several BJP ministers and legislators were beneficiaries in the multi-crore scam and the state government is trying to cover up the matter.
On the signature campaign launched by BJD demanding special category state status to Odisha, Singhdeo said the ruling party was enacting a drama in a bid to divert people`s attention from scams, including the chitfund case.
Similar demonstrations and meetings were held in different places of the state, including Bhubaneswar, where BJP activists burnt effigies of Patnaik and other ministers.
Addressed public meetings at Karanjia, Rairangpur and Udala in Mayurbhanj district, Singhdeo described the BJD government as "scam ridden".
He alleged many ministers received huge kick-backs from scamsters who had duped the poor and common people of the state of crores of rupees.
As the opposition parties intensified their attack on BJD government over chitfund scam, as many as eight persons including builders, businessmen and media organisation owners were interrogated by police in connection with chitfund scam involving Artha Tatwa group.
While about 11 other people connected with AT group are slated to be grilled tomorrow, a sprawling guest house of another ponzi company, Seashore, on the outskirt of the state capital was sealed by Crime Branch of the Odisha Police, senior police officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!