Minor boy accuses police of torturing him with cigarette burns
Jharsuguda: A minor boy in Odisha`s Jharsuguda district was allegedly tortured and inflicted burns with cigarette butt while in police custody in connection with a theft incident.
The incident allegedly took place on February 11 at Kolabira police station when the boy was being interrogated, Jharsuguda Deputy Superintendent of Police Anthony Tirkey said on Saturday.
"We are inquiring into the allegation of the boy who has charged the police with torturing him with cigarette burns", Tirkey said.
The 17-year-old boy alleged before the local people outside that an assistant sub-inspector (ASI) of police had inflicted injury on his left hand by applying a burnt cigarette.
After the incident came to light and was reported in the media, the police was inquiring into the incident, Tirkey said.
The boy was sent to the district headquarters hospital here for treatment yesterday and the medical report was awaited, Tirkey said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Coal India Limited's 66 coal mine projects facing delays
- Tax dept asks officers to suggest changes in direct tax laws
- RAW footage Caution: Speeding train runs over man as he lay on rail track – WATCH
- Ravichandran Ashwin, Shikhar Dhawan, Bhuvneshwar Kumar visit three-time NBA champions Miami Heat
- Tripura CM Manik Sarkar appeals to people to maintain peace, harmony