Naveen doing politics over hostage crisis: Cong
Bhubaneswar: Opposition Congress on Wednesday staged a walkout from the Odisha Assembly, accusing Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik of doing politics over the Italian hostage crisis.
Despite getting all support from Opposition parties, people at large and also the Centre, Patnaik had been blaming Home Minister P Chidambaram without any reason, Leader of Opposition Bhupinder Singh said in the Assembly.
"Is it not politics by the Chief Minister over the hostage crisis?" he said.
"We have been supporting the government over the hostage crisis. Even Congress will not hesitate to pass a resolution appealing to Maoists to release the Italian hostages," he said.
Quoting Chidambaram, Singh said the Centre was "disappointed" over the remarks of the Chief Minister. "This is not the time to give such a political statement by the Chief Minister when the Prime Minister also expresses concern over the hostage crisis," he said.
"If the Chief Minister does not mean politics or he is misquoted by the media, he must clarify in the House," the Congress leader said.
Patnaik had reportedly said the Centre had not offered any help to the state in dealing with the abduction of the two Italians by Maoists.
"Unless the Chief Minister clarifies his reported statement, we cannot cooperate with the government," Singh said before staging a walkout. .
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?