No action taken by NHRC on Kandhamal riots: Justice Shah
New Delhi/Odisha: Former Delhi High Court Chief Justice AP Shah on Friday accused the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) of not taking any inaction on Kandhamal communal riots.
Shah headed the National People`s Tribunal on Kandhamal riots.
"We submitted our report to the NHRC in 2010, however, no action was taken on the report. There is an international acceptance for NHRC and it is considered to be the guardian of human rights. It is surprising that NHRC has taken cognisance of various cases across the country but not in the case of Kandhamal communal riots," he said.
Shah was speaking at the launch of the book `Kandhamal craves for justice`, authored by journalist Anto Akkara.
He said the riots had affected many in Kandhamal and stressed on the need to strengthen commissions like NHRC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir