No action taken by NHRC on Kandhamal riots: Justice Shah
New Delhi/Odisha: Former Delhi High Court Chief Justice AP Shah on Friday accused the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) of not taking any inaction on Kandhamal communal riots.
Shah headed the National People`s Tribunal on Kandhamal riots.
"We submitted our report to the NHRC in 2010, however, no action was taken on the report. There is an international acceptance for NHRC and it is considered to be the guardian of human rights. It is surprising that NHRC has taken cognisance of various cases across the country but not in the case of Kandhamal communal riots," he said.
Shah was speaking at the launch of the book `Kandhamal craves for justice`, authored by journalist Anto Akkara.
He said the riots had affected many in Kandhamal and stressed on the need to strengthen commissions like NHRC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’