Odia film star Bijay Mohanty joins Congress
Bhubaneswar: Veteran Odia film actor Bijay Mohanty joined Congress on Thursday and is likely to contest the ensuing general elections. "We welcome Bijay Mohanty. We had earlier requested the veteran film star to join the party. The party needed him," Odisha PCC president Jaydev Jena told reporters after Mohanty joined the party at Congress Bhavan here.
Jena said the party`s prospects in the coming elections would be boosted with the actor joining it.
Mohanty, who has worked in over 70 Odia films, said, "I love Congress and therefore joined the party.
This platform can give me an opportunity to serve the people who have given me a lot all along." Asked if he would contest the ensuing elections, Mohanty, whose name is being circulated as the probable Congress candidate from Bhubaneswar Lok Sabha seat, said, "The party will take a decision in this regard. I will prefer to contest from any Lok Sabha seat."
Mohanty joined Congress barely some days after another veteran actress Aparajita Mohanty joined the party.
She is likely to contest from Cuttack Lok Sabha seat, party sources said. Meanwhile, Odia film actors Sritam Das and Pinky Pradhan joined BJP yesterday.
Earlier, Odia film actor Anubhav Mohanty and noted comedian Papu had joined ruling BJD.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Indian cricketers are getting married in Twenty20 mode
- SDM report holds Ryan school guilty of Divyansh's death