Odisha: 3-year-old girl’s body found; rape suspected
Sambalpur: The decomposed body of a three-year-old tribal girl, allegedly raped and murdered by a tractor driver, was found in Odisha`s Sambalpur district, police said on Monday.
The body of the girl of Budhiapalli under Thelkuli police station was spotted yesterday by the villagers in the dense forests at nearby Talabira three days after she went missing, inspector-in-charge Nirmal Chandra Mohapatra said.
Daughter of a cow grazing family, the victim and her four-and-a-half-year-old brother were at home when Khedu Munda (30) of the same hamlet took the girl with him after sending her brother to buy chocolates from a nearby shop.
As her parents did not find her after they returned in the evening, they lodged a missing complaint with the police based on the disclosure made by their son.
Even as police was inquiring into the incident with sniffer dogs, the villagers searched the forests and stumbled upon the body, he said.
Post-mortem was conducted at VSS Medical College Hospital at Burla and the report was awaited, he said adding prima facie it appeared to be a case of rape and murder.
After the incident, Munda was absconding and a manhunt was on to nab him, Mohapatra said adding a case was registered against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui