Odisha: 3-year-old girl’s body found; rape suspected
Sambalpur: The decomposed body of a three-year-old tribal girl, allegedly raped and murdered by a tractor driver, was found in Odisha`s Sambalpur district, police said on Monday.
The body of the girl of Budhiapalli under Thelkuli police station was spotted yesterday by the villagers in the dense forests at nearby Talabira three days after she went missing, inspector-in-charge Nirmal Chandra Mohapatra said.
Daughter of a cow grazing family, the victim and her four-and-a-half-year-old brother were at home when Khedu Munda (30) of the same hamlet took the girl with him after sending her brother to buy chocolates from a nearby shop.
As her parents did not find her after they returned in the evening, they lodged a missing complaint with the police based on the disclosure made by their son.
Even as police was inquiring into the incident with sniffer dogs, the villagers searched the forests and stumbled upon the body, he said.
Post-mortem was conducted at VSS Medical College Hospital at Burla and the report was awaited, he said adding prima facie it appeared to be a case of rape and murder.
After the incident, Munda was absconding and a manhunt was on to nab him, Mohapatra said adding a case was registered against him.
- President's Rule to continue in Uttarakhand, next hearing in SC on May 3
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- AgustaWestland chopper deal: No bilateral meeting between PM Modi, Italian Premier Matteo Renzi at UNGA, says MEA
- Will give 'all justifications' for 8.8% EPF interest rate: Dattatreya
- Are you or people around you happy or sad? Twitter has the answer!
- From Shahid Kapoor to Tommy Singh: Check out the eye-popping transformation for 'Udta Punjab' – Watch
- Finance Ministry defends lower interest rate on EPF, cites lack of funds