Odisha assembly stalled over special category status issue
Bhubaneswar: Odisha Assembly today witnessed pandemonium with opposition Congress protesting the speaker`s refusal to allow a debate on the demand for special category status to the state and treasury bench raising voice against alleged gang-rape of an Odia woman in Delhi.
The issue of Odisha`s demand for special category state status was raised by leader of opposition Bhupinder Singh of Congress as soon as the house assembled for the day after a six-day break.
The opposition members rushed to the well and strongly protested refusal by the speaker, Pradip Kumar Amat, to accept an adjournment notice on the special category state status by the Congress members.
While Congress members were staging demonstration in the well demanding acceptance of their notice for a debate on the issue, ruling BJD MLAs were on their feet condemning gang-rape of an Odia working woman in Delhi.
Unable to run the house, Amat adjourned the house twice till 3 pm. "The state government is avoiding a debate on the issue of special category status for Odisha. BJD Government`s demand in this regard is simply confined to writing letters," Singh said outside the house.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kalpataru Das, however, said the government has no objection to hold discussion on the issue. "The issue should be debated in different format and not through an adjournment motion," Das said.
Slamming the state government, Congress maintained that its earlier notice to move a motion for passage of unanimous resolution in the assembly had been ignored.
"My notice to bring a motion on the special category state status issue on March 14, was not taken up," Congress Chief Whip Prasad Harichandan alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31