Odisha: Trains detained for six hours due to rail roko agitation
Rayagada: Long distance trains were stranded for about six hours due to `rail-roko` agitation by people of the area at Therubali, about 25 km from here in Odisha`s Rayagada district on Sunday, railway sources said.
Demanding stoppage of Koraput-Rourkela and Bhawanipatna-Bhubaneswar express trains at Therubali station, a large number of people staged an agitation from 7 am to around 1 pm, station master, Rayagada, SK Nihal said.
Slogan shouting demonstrators holding placards blocked the railway tracks at Therubali station under Rayagada section of East Coast Railway (ECoR) to press for their demand and did not allow any train to pass through the busy route connected to four metros - Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkata.
However, they called off the agitation after Rayagada sub-collector, Pramod Mishra and senior railway officials visited the spot and assured them that the matter would be taken up with railway authorities and sutaible action taken.
The trains detained at different stations included Visakhapatnam-New Delhi Samata Express, Visakhapatnam-Mumbai LTT Express, Chennai-Assansol Express at Rayagada, Koraput- Howrah Samaleswari Express at Kalyansinghpur and Rayagada- Sambalpur-Puri Tapaswini Express at Muniguda, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016 (biharboard.bih.nic.in): BSEB 12th Inter Results 2016, Bihar Board Intermediate Class 12 XII Arts / Vocational Results 2016 to be announced on May 29
- Virtual reality headset market shipment value reaches over $3.4 million in Jan-Mar quarter
- No new signal from EgyptAir jet since day of crash as search intensifies
- LinkedIn notifies data breach, alerts 400 mn members to stay safe
- UN climate change report excludes Great Barrier reefs from in-danger list