Organisations demand scrapping of Lower Siang project
Itanagar: Several organizations from Siang Valley in Arunachal Pradesh have asked Chief Minister Nabam Tuki to scrap the 2700 MW Lower Siang Hydro-Electric Project proposal putting a moratorium and review of all the Hydro Electric Projects in Siang basin.
The organizations including Adi Students Union (AdiSU), Siang Peoples Forum (SPF), Forum for Siang Dialogue (FSD), Nyiko Bachao Forum (NBF), Dam Affected People of Sirit-Siyom Banggo (DAPSSB), Mebo Area Bachao Committee (MABC), Siang Bachao Federation (SBF) and Yamne-Duyon Banggo Students Union (YDBSU), in a joint memorandum to the CM on Saturday reiterated their demand of no dams on Siang river.
The organizations also rejected Tuki’s offer of constituting a Technical Experts Committee to study the effects from the project.
The CM, during a recent meeting with the organizations, assured that no public hearing would be conducted till the proposed study is completed.
The civil society groups, sticking to their demand of no dams on Siang said that there would be no compromise on their stand.
"The Siang River is our lifeline and addressing these issues is essential to ensure the long-term social and environmental security of Arunachal Pradesh," the organizations said in the memorandum.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- 'NSG applications of Pakistan, India should be considered together'
- Jung, Meena will be summoned over Sheila govt 'scams': Dy Speaker
- CBI files fresh chargesheet against two in Vyapam cases
- ED officer loses annual increments for harassing woman
- Finally! Ringing Bells ready with two lakh Freedom 251 phones: Mohit Goel