Organisations demand scrapping of Lower Siang project
Itanagar: Several organizations from Siang Valley in Arunachal Pradesh have asked Chief Minister Nabam Tuki to scrap the 2700 MW Lower Siang Hydro-Electric Project proposal putting a moratorium and review of all the Hydro Electric Projects in Siang basin.
The organizations including Adi Students Union (AdiSU), Siang Peoples Forum (SPF), Forum for Siang Dialogue (FSD), Nyiko Bachao Forum (NBF), Dam Affected People of Sirit-Siyom Banggo (DAPSSB), Mebo Area Bachao Committee (MABC), Siang Bachao Federation (SBF) and Yamne-Duyon Banggo Students Union (YDBSU), in a joint memorandum to the CM on Saturday reiterated their demand of no dams on Siang river.
The organizations also rejected Tuki’s offer of constituting a Technical Experts Committee to study the effects from the project.
The CM, during a recent meeting with the organizations, assured that no public hearing would be conducted till the proposed study is completed.
The civil society groups, sticking to their demand of no dams on Siang said that there would be no compromise on their stand.
"The Siang River is our lifeline and addressing these issues is essential to ensure the long-term social and environmental security of Arunachal Pradesh," the organizations said in the memorandum.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yuvraj Singh drops big hint about film on his life – Here's what the star batsman said...
- Indian Premier League 9: After struggling for years, Delhi Daredevils find rhythm under Rahul Dravid's watchful eyes
- WATCH: SHOCKING! Kanhaiya Kumar's supporters mercilessly beat up man for showing black flag
- WATCH: Fan girl proposes Zaheer Khan with 'I Love You' message during live match
- Your depressed better-half can make you sad too!