Pipili rape: HC seeks report on role of cops, docs
Cuttack: Odisha High Court has directed the state crime branch to submit a report within two weeks on the criminal liability of local police and doctors for the plight of the Pipili rape victim, who is in a coma for over four and half months.
The directive followed a petition yesterday of the crime branch seeking three more weeks for investigation as an expert committee is looking into the alleged criminal negligence of doctors who treated the 19-year-old victim from November 29, 2011 to January 11, 2012.
The girl was admitted to the SCB Medical College and Hospital on January 11 this year following a direction from the HC as it was alleged that she was grossly neglected by the doctors at Pipili Hospital, Capital Hospital in Bhubaneswar and Cuttack Hospital for which her condition deteriorated.
Civil rights activist Prabir Das, who filed a PIL in this connection, told the court that the crime branch had till date maintained a silence to ascertain the criminal liability of local police and had not yet registered any case against police inspector Amulya Kumar Champatray dismissed from service for trying to suppress the incident occurred last year.
The Superintendent of SCB Medical College and Hospital submitted a status report to the court on the girl`s present health condition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days