Pipili rape: HC seeks report on role of cops, docs
Cuttack: Odisha High Court has directed the state crime branch to submit a report within two weeks on the criminal liability of local police and doctors for the plight of the Pipili rape victim, who is in a coma for over four and half months.
The directive followed a petition yesterday of the crime branch seeking three more weeks for investigation as an expert committee is looking into the alleged criminal negligence of doctors who treated the 19-year-old victim from November 29, 2011 to January 11, 2012.
The girl was admitted to the SCB Medical College and Hospital on January 11 this year following a direction from the HC as it was alleged that she was grossly neglected by the doctors at Pipili Hospital, Capital Hospital in Bhubaneswar and Cuttack Hospital for which her condition deteriorated.
Civil rights activist Prabir Das, who filed a PIL in this connection, told the court that the crime branch had till date maintained a silence to ascertain the criminal liability of local police and had not yet registered any case against police inspector Amulya Kumar Champatray dismissed from service for trying to suppress the incident occurred last year.
The Superintendent of SCB Medical College and Hospital submitted a status report to the court on the girl`s present health condition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?