Police rescue 29 trafficked children in Odisha
Berhampur (Odisha): The police rescued 29 children, including 15 girls, confined in a single room in Odisha`s Ganjam district and arrested two persons on charge of illegal trafficking of minors.
The children, in the age group of 7 to 16, hailed from tribal-dominated southern districts of Gajapati, Kandhamal and Rayagada.
They were rescued by police with the help of `Childline`, Berhampur, activists from the village on Friday evening. The children are now in the custody of `Childline`, police said.
While 16 of the rescued children were from Mohana area of Gajapati district, 10 were from Bramhanigaon area of Kandhamal district. Three others were from Kenduguda area of Rayagada district, sources said.
Tapan Kumar Das of Tanganapalli near Berhampur and Ishaq Majhi of Chandragiri in Gajapati district were arrested for allegedly trafficking the children after convincing their parents that they will be provided higher education and better facilities, said Sadar police station inspector in-charge A K Sethy.
The two have allegedly collected Rs 3,500 from the parents of each child for the purpose. The children, however, were yet to join any school and were housed in a single room without proper facilities, police said.
They were arrested on charges of cheating and under various sections of Juvenile Justice Act (JJA), based on a complaint lodged by Prabhu Prasad Patra, a Childline activist, the inspector said.
Child Welfare Committee (CWC) has intimated the parents of
the rescued children. They would be united with their parents though the district administration, sources said.
In a similar incident, 35 children from Gajapati district were rescued from different places of Tamil Nadu by police with the help of child rights activists last year.
The children, in the age group of five to 10 years, from Gumma and Seranga areas in the district, were taken by an area person to Coimbatore on the pretext of providing them free education.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why