Students block road in Odisha
Malkangiri: Demanding admission
in schools, hundreds of SC and ST students and their parents Monday resorted to a road blockade disrupting vehicular movement in Odisha`s Malkangiri district.
The protesters sat on the main road at Kadamguda
junction under Khairput block, about 60 km from here. As a result, vehicular movement through the area to Andhra Pradesh, Chitrakonda and Balimela from one side and Jeypre, Koraput
and Bhubaneswar and Cuttack on the other was disrupted.
Alleging that the students who passed their eighth standard in Khairput block were given admission to ninth
standard in any other high school, president of Sarbasisakti
Sanghathan Rama Pangi, spearheading the agitation, said they
would continue the dharna till their demand was fulfilled.
At least eight upper primary schools in the block had
been upgraded to high schools with classes upto 8th standard.
But students who passed eighth required to move to another
high school to complete their study upto 10th standard.
The students faced problem seeking admission in other
high schools in the block and many preferred quitting their
studies to being harassed, Pangi alleged.
District Inspector of Schools-1(DI), Malkangiri,
Udayanath Mishra said he was aware of the problem being faced
by students but refuted the charge that students were
"Due to shortage of hostels in high schools for SC/ST
students this problem has cropped up. We have suggested a few
schools for their admission, but the parents are not agreeable
because of the distance factor", he said adding efforts were
on to sort the problem in consultation with the authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...