Students block road in Odisha
Malkangiri: Demanding admission
in schools, hundreds of SC and ST students and their parents Monday resorted to a road blockade disrupting vehicular movement in Odisha`s Malkangiri district.
The protesters sat on the main road at Kadamguda
junction under Khairput block, about 60 km from here. As a result, vehicular movement through the area to Andhra Pradesh, Chitrakonda and Balimela from one side and Jeypre, Koraput
and Bhubaneswar and Cuttack on the other was disrupted.
Alleging that the students who passed their eighth standard in Khairput block were given admission to ninth
standard in any other high school, president of Sarbasisakti
Sanghathan Rama Pangi, spearheading the agitation, said they
would continue the dharna till their demand was fulfilled.
At least eight upper primary schools in the block had
been upgraded to high schools with classes upto 8th standard.
But students who passed eighth required to move to another
high school to complete their study upto 10th standard.
The students faced problem seeking admission in other
high schools in the block and many preferred quitting their
studies to being harassed, Pangi alleged.
District Inspector of Schools-1(DI), Malkangiri,
Udayanath Mishra said he was aware of the problem being faced
by students but refuted the charge that students were
"Due to shortage of hostels in high schools for SC/ST
students this problem has cropped up. We have suggested a few
schools for their admission, but the parents are not agreeable
because of the distance factor", he said adding efforts were
on to sort the problem in consultation with the authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar