Students block road in Odisha
Malkangiri: Demanding admission
in schools, hundreds of SC and ST students and their parents Monday resorted to a road blockade disrupting vehicular movement in Odisha`s Malkangiri district.
The protesters sat on the main road at Kadamguda
junction under Khairput block, about 60 km from here. As a result, vehicular movement through the area to Andhra Pradesh, Chitrakonda and Balimela from one side and Jeypre, Koraput
and Bhubaneswar and Cuttack on the other was disrupted.
Alleging that the students who passed their eighth standard in Khairput block were given admission to ninth
standard in any other high school, president of Sarbasisakti
Sanghathan Rama Pangi, spearheading the agitation, said they
would continue the dharna till their demand was fulfilled.
At least eight upper primary schools in the block had
been upgraded to high schools with classes upto 8th standard.
But students who passed eighth required to move to another
high school to complete their study upto 10th standard.
The students faced problem seeking admission in other
high schools in the block and many preferred quitting their
studies to being harassed, Pangi alleged.
District Inspector of Schools-1(DI), Malkangiri,
Udayanath Mishra said he was aware of the problem being faced
by students but refuted the charge that students were
"Due to shortage of hostels in high schools for SC/ST
students this problem has cropped up. We have suggested a few
schools for their admission, but the parents are not agreeable
because of the distance factor", he said adding efforts were
on to sort the problem in consultation with the authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda