Two Odisha ports on alert over cyclone `Helen`
Bhubaneswar: Storm warning signals were raised in two Odisha ports on Wednesday as deep depression over west central Bay of Bengal intensified into cyclonic storm `Helen`, officials said.
The distant storm warning signal has been raised to two from the earlier one number at the state`s Paradip and Gopalpur ports, an official of the Bhubaneswar Meteorological Centre told a news agency.
The storm which lay centred at about 520 km south of Gopalpur would further intensify into a severe cyclonic storm Thursday.
It would move west-north-westwards for some time, then west-south-westwards and cross south Andhra Pradesh coast between Sriharikota and Ongole, close to Kavali around Thursday night, he said.
There is no threat to the state`s coast but a few places may see rain or thundershowers.
Fishermen of south Odisha coast have been advised to be cautious while venturing into the sea as surface wind speed of 30 to 40 km per hour gushing to 50 km per hour may prevail, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan