21 Congo youths arrested for thrashing policemen in Punjab
Jalandhar: Twenty one youths from the Republic of Congo, studying at a private university here, were arrested for allegedly attacking police personnel near a bus stand, police said on Sunday.
The youths were produced in a local court today which sent them to 14 days judicial custody.
According to the police, a team was conducting investigations in a theft case, in which Naveen, a resident of Una district of Himachal Pradesh had lost his baggage at the bus stop last night. The police tried to probe the youths who in turn thrashed them.
"We have sent a copy of the FIR to the Embassy of Congo Democratic Republic in New Delhi and are awaiting their response," Deputy Commissioner of Police, Jalandhar Parminder Singh Bandhal said.
All the youths are students at a private university here and staying on rent at different places in the city.
The police has registered a case against them under IPC sections 382 (Theft after preparation made for causing death, hurt or restraint in order to the committing of the theft), 323 (Punishment for voluntarily causing hurt), 186 (Obstructing public servant in discharge of public functions) and 160 (Punishment for committing affray).
One of the arrested youths also attempted to commit suicide today morning but in vain, the DCP said, adding that he has been booked under IPC section 309 (Attempt to commit suicide).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city