21 Congo youths arrested for thrashing policemen in Punjab
Jalandhar: Twenty one youths from the Republic of Congo, studying at a private university here, were arrested for allegedly attacking police personnel near a bus stand, police said on Sunday.
The youths were produced in a local court today which sent them to 14 days judicial custody.
According to the police, a team was conducting investigations in a theft case, in which Naveen, a resident of Una district of Himachal Pradesh had lost his baggage at the bus stop last night. The police tried to probe the youths who in turn thrashed them.
"We have sent a copy of the FIR to the Embassy of Congo Democratic Republic in New Delhi and are awaiting their response," Deputy Commissioner of Police, Jalandhar Parminder Singh Bandhal said.
All the youths are students at a private university here and staying on rent at different places in the city.
The police has registered a case against them under IPC sections 382 (Theft after preparation made for causing death, hurt or restraint in order to the committing of the theft), 323 (Punishment for voluntarily causing hurt), 186 (Obstructing public servant in discharge of public functions) and 160 (Punishment for committing affray).
One of the arrested youths also attempted to commit suicide today morning but in vain, the DCP said, adding that he has been booked under IPC section 309 (Attempt to commit suicide).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH