9 more NRI police stations being set up in Punjab
Amritsar: Punjab is setting up nine more dedicated NRI police stations across the state, that will help in quick disposal of law and order issues pertaining to the community and time-bound redressal of their grievances.
Announcing this on Sunday, Punjab Minister for NRI Affairs Bikram Singh Majithia said they were being set up keeping in view the demand for more such police stations by the NRI community.
Earlier in 2008, six police stations for NRI`s were set up at Jalandhar, Hoshiarpur, Ludhiana, Moga, Nawan Sehar and Kapurthala, he added.
With the help of community affairs division and women commission, the state government has been able to solve a number of marriage-related disputes involving NRIs, he said, adding that 296 complaints have been redressed till June this year by state`s NRI cell.
As per government directives, no FIR will be registered against any NRI without an investigation by the Deputy Superintendent of Police, Majithia said.
The state government has deputed an officer of IG rank to directly look into the complaints of NRIs, Majithia said.
If a person belonging to the NRI community is not satisfied with the investigation at the lower level, he can directly approach the IGP (Community Division) at police headquarters.
NRI Affairs IGP Gurpreet Kaur Deo said new pages with comprehensive relevant information have been created on the Punjab Police website for the assistance of NRI community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’