Akal Takht to review decision on Rajoana title
Amritsar: Faced with a piquant situation,
the Akal Takht, top temporal seat of the Sikhs, on Sunday said it
would review its decision on bestowing the title of `Living
Martyr` on death row convict Balwant Singh Rajoana, an
assassin of former Chief Minister Beant Singh.
Akal Takht Jathedar Gurbachan Singh said a meeting of
the five Sikh head priests would be called shortly in this
A piquant situation arose when Rajoana, a Babbar Khalsa
terrorist who is scheduled to be hanged on March 31, refused
the title of `Zinda Shaheed` (Living Martyr) conferred on him.
"I will prefer to be termed a Shaheed after I am
hanged," he said in a statement issued through his sister
Kamaljeet Kaur who had met him in Patiala jail yesterday.
"Zinda (living) and Shaheed (martyr) are two separate
and opposite terms which could not be used together in this
case," Rajoana said in a statement.
Commenting on the development, radical Sikh organisation
Dal Khalsa said the Jathedars had made a mockery of their
"Jathedar Gurbachan Singh has coined this new
terminology on his own without application of mind.
"Never in the history of the Akal Takht such a title has
been bestowed on any Sikh personality," Dal Khalsa Secretary
Kanwar Pal Singh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video