Akal Takht to review decision on Rajoana title
Amritsar: Faced with a piquant situation,
the Akal Takht, top temporal seat of the Sikhs, on Sunday said it
would review its decision on bestowing the title of `Living
Martyr` on death row convict Balwant Singh Rajoana, an
assassin of former Chief Minister Beant Singh.
Akal Takht Jathedar Gurbachan Singh said a meeting of
the five Sikh head priests would be called shortly in this
A piquant situation arose when Rajoana, a Babbar Khalsa
terrorist who is scheduled to be hanged on March 31, refused
the title of `Zinda Shaheed` (Living Martyr) conferred on him.
"I will prefer to be termed a Shaheed after I am
hanged," he said in a statement issued through his sister
Kamaljeet Kaur who had met him in Patiala jail yesterday.
"Zinda (living) and Shaheed (martyr) are two separate
and opposite terms which could not be used together in this
case," Rajoana said in a statement.
Commenting on the development, radical Sikh organisation
Dal Khalsa said the Jathedars had made a mockery of their
"Jathedar Gurbachan Singh has coined this new
terminology on his own without application of mind.
"Never in the history of the Akal Takht such a title has
been bestowed on any Sikh personality," Dal Khalsa Secretary
Kanwar Pal Singh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared