Akal Takht to review decision on Rajoana title
Amritsar: Faced with a piquant situation,
the Akal Takht, top temporal seat of the Sikhs, on Sunday said it
would review its decision on bestowing the title of `Living
Martyr` on death row convict Balwant Singh Rajoana, an
assassin of former Chief Minister Beant Singh.
Akal Takht Jathedar Gurbachan Singh said a meeting of
the five Sikh head priests would be called shortly in this
A piquant situation arose when Rajoana, a Babbar Khalsa
terrorist who is scheduled to be hanged on March 31, refused
the title of `Zinda Shaheed` (Living Martyr) conferred on him.
"I will prefer to be termed a Shaheed after I am
hanged," he said in a statement issued through his sister
Kamaljeet Kaur who had met him in Patiala jail yesterday.
"Zinda (living) and Shaheed (martyr) are two separate
and opposite terms which could not be used together in this
case," Rajoana said in a statement.
Commenting on the development, radical Sikh organisation
Dal Khalsa said the Jathedars had made a mockery of their
"Jathedar Gurbachan Singh has coined this new
terminology on his own without application of mind.
"Never in the history of the Akal Takht such a title has
been bestowed on any Sikh personality," Dal Khalsa Secretary
Kanwar Pal Singh said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!