Akali sarpanch who slapped lady teacher bailed out
Chandigarh: Punjab Police on Tuesday arrested the
ruling Shiromani Akal Dal leader and sarpanch who slapped a
woman teacher at Gidderbaha in Muktsar district on Sunday.
However, the sarpanch Balwinder Singh was freed on bail
within hours of his arrest as the offences under Indian Penal
Code for which he was booked by police were bailable.
Muktsar SSP Inder Mohan Singh told PTI over phone that
Balwinder Singh was arrested under the provisions of section
323 (slapping) and 341 (wrongful restraint) of the IPC.
Balwinder Singh had repeatedly slapped lady teacher
Varinder Kaur, who was demanding a permanent job on Sunday,
sparking an outrage after which the state government
registered an FIR against him late last night.
Varinder Kaur was part of a delegation of teachers who
wanted to meet Bhatinda MP Harsimrat Kaur Badal,
the wife of Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal, with
their demand at the function at Gidderbaha on Sunday.
A scuffle had broken out between the teachers`
delegation which wanted to submit a memorandum to Harsimrat
Kaur demanding regularisation of their job, and Akali Dal
workers who wanted the delegation to leave the place.
Balwinder Singh, Akali Dal sarpanch of Daula village,
caught hold of Varinder Kaur and slapped her many times.
Meanwhile, police have received a complaint from a
panchayat member charging Varinder Kaur with using casteist
remarks against him.
The panchayat demanded the woman be arrested under the
provisons of SC and ST Act for allegedly passing casteist
remarks against him during the scuffle.
However, the SSP said police are verifying the complaint
and action would be taken as per law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks