Akalis using police to intimidate Cong workers: Amarinder
Moga: Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee President Capt Amarinder Singh today warned police officials against intimidating party workers in the run up to the Moga Assembly by-election on February 23.
Singh said his party was closely monitoring the situation and following some officers who were allegedly asking Congress workers either to join Akali Dal or not to campaign for the party.
Addressing a press conference here before presiding over a meeting of partymen incharge of urban areas, he accused Superintendent of Police Dilbag Singh Pannu, whose transfer has been ordered by the Election Commission, of staying back in Moga.
Two DSPs - Gurdeep Singh and Gurmeet Singh - were calling Congress workers directly, the PCC chief alleged.
Congress will take up these matters with the EC and seek punitive action, he said and sought deployment of central security forces during the entire campaign period.
Meanwhile, SAD Secretary General Prem Singh Chandumajra rejected the accusation of the Congress leader and said the party had already conceded defeat in the by-poll and was making frivolous charges.
A senior police officer also denied allegations that police is intimidating Congress workers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory
- Oil dives 2%, heads for weekly loss as US rigs rise
- German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at Munich shopping mall; police say he acted alone
- Body unnoticed in Australian fast-food outlet for days