Amarinder admits to have written a letter to Sonia Gandhi
Chandigarh: Former Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh Monday admitted that he had written a letter to Congress president Sonia Gandhi but refused to disclose its content, raising speculations whether he had mentioned the state party chief`s alleged involvement in drug rackets.
Responding to reports in a section of media that he had complained against Punjab Congress chief Partap Singh Bajwa`s links with drug rackets and terror modules, Singh said, "Yes I have written a letter to Congress head Sonia Gandhi some 18 months ago, which is July 2012. I will not discuss the letter as it is confidential in nature."
"I don`t know how this letter has come to a few newspapers," Singh told reporters here.
He also reiterated his stand that the ongoing probe into the multi-crore drug scam in Punjab should not be transferred to the CBI. "If the case is handed over to the CBI it will further delay the investigation," he said.
Singh, however, clarified he did not want Bajwa to be replaced as state unit chief. "It`s (to replace Bajwa or not) a decision that has to be taken by Sonia Gandhi," he said.
On the issue of adopting a different line from the state party unit that had been demanding a CBI probe into the drug case, the former Chief Minister said, "The state Congress`s decision is as per party`s policies." He, however, said that he can have "personal views."
"Whatever the state unit wants to do it can do, but I am opposed to the CBI probe into the drug case," he said.
Asked about the state unit`s announcement of a series of programmes in the wake of accusation levelled by a drug smuggler that Revenue Minister Bikram Singh Majithia is involved into the trade, Singh said, "I will participate in the agitations announced by the state unit."
Meanwhile, Bajwa had refused to comment on the issue of letter written by Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read