Amarinder condemns gang-rape of 14-year-old girl in Jalandhar
Chandigarh: Punjab Congress president Capt Amarinder Singh on Friday condemned the brutal gang-rape of a minor girl in Shahkote in Jalandhar district and expressed grave concern over the "rising incidents" of rapes in the state.
He said that more shocking was the fact that even after ten days of the incident none of the accused had been arrested.
"This reflects the state of affairs as how casually the police have taken such a serious offence," he said, adding that on an average 40 rapes were taking place every month in Punjab.
In a statement released here, Amarinder sought best possible medical treatment for the 14-year-old girl who has suffered brutal injuries.
"This for sure cannot be described to be the safest state in the country as this government will try to make us believe," he said taking a dig at Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Badal`s claims that Punjab was the safest state in the country.
He said that the government`s casual attitude towards the crime could be gauged from the fact that 12 rapists convicted and sentenced by various courts were pardon by it last year.
The former Chief Minister said that the government must not wriggle out of the responsibility by merely saying that it will bear the cost of the treatment.
The government must ensure that the best treatment is provided irrespective of how expensive it is, he said, adding, just as Delhi government sent the gang-rape victim to Singapore for super-specialised treatment, Punjab government must also ensure the best treatment for the minor.
A 14-year old girl was allegedly abducted and gang-raped by three persons in Mandhala Channa village here on January 28 when she had gone out of her home to relieve herself.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'