Amarinder condemns gang-rape of 14-year-old girl in Jalandhar
Chandigarh: Punjab Congress president Capt Amarinder Singh on Friday condemned the brutal gang-rape of a minor girl in Shahkote in Jalandhar district and expressed grave concern over the "rising incidents" of rapes in the state.
He said that more shocking was the fact that even after ten days of the incident none of the accused had been arrested.
"This reflects the state of affairs as how casually the police have taken such a serious offence," he said, adding that on an average 40 rapes were taking place every month in Punjab.
In a statement released here, Amarinder sought best possible medical treatment for the 14-year-old girl who has suffered brutal injuries.
"This for sure cannot be described to be the safest state in the country as this government will try to make us believe," he said taking a dig at Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Badal`s claims that Punjab was the safest state in the country.
He said that the government`s casual attitude towards the crime could be gauged from the fact that 12 rapists convicted and sentenced by various courts were pardon by it last year.
The former Chief Minister said that the government must not wriggle out of the responsibility by merely saying that it will bear the cost of the treatment.
The government must ensure that the best treatment is provided irrespective of how expensive it is, he said, adding, just as Delhi government sent the gang-rape victim to Singapore for super-specialised treatment, Punjab government must also ensure the best treatment for the minor.
A 14-year old girl was allegedly abducted and gang-raped by three persons in Mandhala Channa village here on January 28 when she had gone out of her home to relieve herself.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information