Amarinder condemns gang-rape of 14-year-old girl in Jalandhar
Chandigarh: Punjab Congress president Capt Amarinder Singh on Friday condemned the brutal gang-rape of a minor girl in Shahkote in Jalandhar district and expressed grave concern over the "rising incidents" of rapes in the state.
He said that more shocking was the fact that even after ten days of the incident none of the accused had been arrested.
"This reflects the state of affairs as how casually the police have taken such a serious offence," he said, adding that on an average 40 rapes were taking place every month in Punjab.
In a statement released here, Amarinder sought best possible medical treatment for the 14-year-old girl who has suffered brutal injuries.
"This for sure cannot be described to be the safest state in the country as this government will try to make us believe," he said taking a dig at Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Badal`s claims that Punjab was the safest state in the country.
He said that the government`s casual attitude towards the crime could be gauged from the fact that 12 rapists convicted and sentenced by various courts were pardon by it last year.
The former Chief Minister said that the government must not wriggle out of the responsibility by merely saying that it will bear the cost of the treatment.
The government must ensure that the best treatment is provided irrespective of how expensive it is, he said, adding, just as Delhi government sent the gang-rape victim to Singapore for super-specialised treatment, Punjab government must also ensure the best treatment for the minor.
A 14-year old girl was allegedly abducted and gang-raped by three persons in Mandhala Channa village here on January 28 when she had gone out of her home to relieve herself.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery