Amarinder condemns gang-rape of 14-year-old girl in Jalandhar
Chandigarh: Punjab Congress president Capt Amarinder Singh on Friday condemned the brutal gang-rape of a minor girl in Shahkote in Jalandhar district and expressed grave concern over the "rising incidents" of rapes in the state.
He said that more shocking was the fact that even after ten days of the incident none of the accused had been arrested.
"This reflects the state of affairs as how casually the police have taken such a serious offence," he said, adding that on an average 40 rapes were taking place every month in Punjab.
In a statement released here, Amarinder sought best possible medical treatment for the 14-year-old girl who has suffered brutal injuries.
"This for sure cannot be described to be the safest state in the country as this government will try to make us believe," he said taking a dig at Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Badal`s claims that Punjab was the safest state in the country.
He said that the government`s casual attitude towards the crime could be gauged from the fact that 12 rapists convicted and sentenced by various courts were pardon by it last year.
The former Chief Minister said that the government must not wriggle out of the responsibility by merely saying that it will bear the cost of the treatment.
The government must ensure that the best treatment is provided irrespective of how expensive it is, he said, adding, just as Delhi government sent the gang-rape victim to Singapore for super-specialised treatment, Punjab government must also ensure the best treatment for the minor.
A 14-year old girl was allegedly abducted and gang-raped by three persons in Mandhala Channa village here on January 28 when she had gone out of her home to relieve herself.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster