Amarinder, DGP in war of words over Faridkot abduction case
Chandigarh: Punjab Congress chief Amarinder Singh and state police chief Sumedh Singh Saini were Tuesday involved in a public spat over the alleged abduction case of a teenage girl from Faridkot.
The two sparred over Saini`s comment that "some elements had distorted facts for their political considerations" even as the minor girl today refused to undergo a medical test claiming she was married to her alleged abductor.
Without naming Congress, Saini yesterday had said it was unethical on the part of those staging protest and raking up the issue involving a minor girl for their political considerations.
While Amarinder asked the DGP to "respect his uniform and stop behaving like an Akali politician", Saini shot back immediately advising the former Punjab Chief Minister to "leave policing and investigation to the police and devote his time to his own business, if he can."
Amarinder, in a statement here, maintained that the DGP should admit to the police failure in this particular case.
The PCC President said the DGP before leveling allegations against the Congress should visit the area from where the girl was abducted to find out how the family and their neighbours were terrorised.
"For the first time in the history of Punjab a girl has been abducted at gunpoint under your Director Generalship of the police," he said while asking him whether he wanted the Congress to keep quiet and let this incident become a routine.
"Leave politics to politicians and get serious about your job lest Punjab turns into a lawless anarchy," Amarinder said.
In response, Saini strongly refuted the allegations of Amarinder of dragging Congress in the controversy of abduction of minor girl of Faridkot.
The DGP said "It is definitely my business if facts are deliberately distorted and the issue of a minor girl is used to further personal interests, resulting in hindrance to investigation."
"He (Amarinder) should abstain from unethical behaviour or making issues where none exist," the DGP said reacting to Amarinder in a separate statement.
He said that the investigation in the case will be taken to its logical conclusion.
"Amarinder should look at the blatant matter in which he repeatedly maligned the name of a minor girl and attempted to make the issue into a virtual public spectacle," the DGP said.
The girl, a class X student, was found in Goa on Sunday.
She was brought to Faridkot Tuesday morning from Goa via Delhi along with Nishan Singh, who allegedly kidnapped her at gunpoint on September 24.
Fifteen of the seventeen accused in the case have been arrested so far and those yet to be arrested include Nishan Singh`s mother Navjot Kaur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India