Attack on lawyer: Congress activists burn effigy of Punjab minister
Amritsar: Congress activists on Tuesday staged a demonstration near the residence of Punjab minister Anil Joshi here and burnt his effigy in protest against his alleged role in the last week`s "murderous attack" on an advocate.
The Congress activists raised anti-government slogans and tried to cross barricades put up by police to stop them from moving towards the minister`s residence. Several protesters were rounded up when they tried to break the barricades.
A large posse of policemen were deployed around Joshi`s residence in view of the scheduled protest by Congress workers.
BJP workers in large numbers too assembled near the minister`s residence to rally behind their leader.
Addressing party workers, Joshi, Punjab Local Bodies minister, said he was "innocent" and slammed the Congress for alleging that he was behind the attack on advocate Vaneet Mahajan and his brother Avnish Mahajan.
The Mahajans were attacked, and another lawyer, Sandeep Gorsi, was charged in an old attempt to murder case after they claimed that the names of Joshi and some of his family members were in the voters` lists of two different areas.
Vaneet claimed that they were attacked by a group of BJP activists, including a party councillor. Congress alleged role of Joshi in the attack. Police have booked eight men including a BJP councillor in the case.
Meanwhile, AAP candidate Daljit Singh met Vaneet and his brother today at Hargun Hospital where they are undergoing treatment. Singh assured Vaneet that he and AAP volunteers would do all to support them. He also promised help to lawyer Sandeep Gorsi in cancellation of the "false" attempt-to-murder case slapped against him allegedly at the behest of Joshi.
The Punjab minister in the evening told reporters that the District Sessions Court today granted him bails in all the three cases including two cases wherein non-bailable warrants were issued against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!