Badal has failed to protect rights of Sikh farmers: NCM
Patiala: National Commission for Minorities (NCM) member Ajaib Singh on Friday alleged, Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal has failed to protect the rights of Sikh farmers residing in the Kutch region of Gujarat.
"Badal is not serious about the cause of Sikh farmers and has failed to protect their rights.
"If he has any sympathy for them, he should impress upon Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi to withdraw the eviction case against Sikh farmers filed in the Apex Court," Singh told reporters here.
He said, he had written letters to both Chief Ministers and urged them to show concern for farmers from Punjab.
The High Court of Gujarat has ruled unanimously in favour of Sikh farmers residing in Kutch region, but the Gujarat government has appealed against the verdict in the Supreme Court, he noted.
Singh also expressed his displeasure towards Punjab government for not properly distributing scholarships meant for the minority community and said, he would seek a complete report from the government in this regard.
Singh sought another report from the state government on allegations of land grabbing of a grave yard meant for the minority community at Amloh in Fatehgarh Sahib district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire