By-polls for two Punjab seats on August 21
Chandigarh: By-polls to Talwandi Sabo and Patiala assembly seats in Punjab will be held on August 21.
The Election Commission Saturday issued a notification in this regard and announced that the two assembly seats will go to polls on August 21 with polling commencing from 7 am till 6 pm, Chief Electoral Officer of Punjab VK Singh said.
He said no candidate submitted papers on the first day of filing of nominations in both assembly constituencies. The last date for filing the nomination papers is August 2.
The CEO said scrutiny of nominations would be done on August 4 while the last date for the withdrawal of candidature is August 6. Counting of votes would be held on August 25.
The model code of conduct has come into force in district Bathinda and Patiala and shall remain in force till the completion of election process, he said.
Patiala assembly seat was vacated by Amarinder Singh after he was elected to the Lok Sabha from Amritsar, defeating BJP stalwart Arun Jaitley.
Talwandi Sabo seat fell vacant after sitting Congress MLA Jeet Mohinder Singh Sidhi deserted the party to join ruling Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka