Canadian Minister shown black flags in Amritsar
Amritsar: Visiting Canadian Minister Jason Kenny was on Friday shown black flags by a group of people who are waiting for their immigration clearance to Canada.
Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism Minister Kenny, who was on a one-day visit to this Sikh holy city, was shown black flags by the group called Canadian Back-loggers Pre-2008 Association near the Golden Temple complex.
Police officials said the protestors, holding black flags, numbered over 100. "They were not allowed to come near the Canadian minister as he arrived to visit the Golden Temple," a police officer said.
Association leader Jagmander Singh said thousands of people were awaiting immigration clearance by the Canadian authorities for the last few years. Over 300,000 immigration applications, including over 65,000 from Punjab alone, were pending with the Canadian government, he added.
Thousands of people of Punjab origin are settled in various parts of Canada. Some of them have even become Members of Parliament and federal and provincial ministers there in the last few years.
Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper had visited Chandigarh and Punjab November last year. He had visited Takht Keshgarh Sahib at Anandpur Sahib, the second most holy Sikh shrine after the Golden Temple here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams
- Complete list of award winners at IPL 2015