Centre meting out step-motherly treatment to Punjab: Badal
Muktsar (Pb): Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal Monday accused the Centre of meting out step- motherly treatment to the state and said the union government is partial in disbursements of grants.
"Unending saga of discrimination and step motherly treatment against Punjab and its peasantry (by Centre) is a deliberate attempt to demoralise the state," Badal told reporters after presiding over the Sports tournament at Abul Khurana here.
He said, "There is hardly any positive outcome from the side of Union government in allocation of funds and schemes to the state due to which its development had been badly hit... This is despite Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who is at the helm of affairs at the Centre, being the son of soil (hailing from Punjab)."
Badal said the Union government frames policies with "riders to deliberately exclude Punjab from ambit of the central schemes."
"The apathy of the Union government towards Punjab could be well judged from the fact that the industry of the state has been ruined due to the incentives given to our neighbouring states and now due to the exorbitant hike in agricultural inputs, the farmers of the state are on crossroads," he said.
The 85-year-old SAD patriarch said the hardworking and resilient farmers of the state had ensured food security for the country "but due to the Centre`s indifferent attitude, they are today reeling under a debt of Rs 32,000 crore".
Badal also said despite his requests to the Centre, it has hardly paid any heed in granting permission for setting up new silos for storing up grains in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Scorpene data leak unintentional, navy will address all concerns: Parrikar
- Day/Night Duleep Trophy: India Red crush India Green by 219 runs
- UEFA Europa League Draw: Groups, Fixtures, Top clashes – All you need to know!
- Beware! If you are woman and using elevator alone - WATCH Video
- Power Series Conclave on 'Make in India' organised by The Dollar Business on Aug 24