College girl, family assaulted by 11 men; 5 arrested
Amritsar: Five of the eleven youths, who had allegedly thrashed a girl and her family members after barging into their house in Sadar area here, were arrested on Friday.
"The five arrested persons are auto rickshaw drivers and rest of the accused, who are yet to be nabbed, are also in the same profession," Deputy Police Commissioner (DCP) Amritsar Koustab Sharma said.
Last night, in a shameful act, a group of eleven youths allegedly eve-teased the 21-year-old girl, who was returning from a tuition class, and followed her to Batala Road area where she lived with her parents.
When the girl`s father objected to their behaviour, they forcibly entered into the house and thrashed him and other family members.
Before leaving the house, they threatened them of dire consequences if the matter was reported, police said.
The DCP said, "There were eleven accused who trespassed in the house of the girl and five have been identified, arrested and booked."
Rest of the accused will be arrested shortly, the officer said.
According to the family members of the girl, right leg of the girl was fractured in the assault and she was admitted to a hospital where she is undergoing treatment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka