Dalit youth stabbed to death cremated
Ludhiana: A Dalit youth, who was allegedly stabbed to death on Thursday, sparking protests and arson, was on Friday cremated here, police said.
Shammi Kumar, 23, was stabbed to death in the Jawahar Nagar locality here yesterday and was cremated at the Model town cremation ground here, they said.
A large number of police personnel were deployed at the ground to meet any eventuality after the protestors went on a rampage yesterday, damaging several buses, cars, shops and two-wheelers.
The protestors, including women and children, gathered on Ludhiana-Ferozepur road at Bharat Nagar chowk with sticks and swords and blocked traffic, demanding immediate arrest of the accused killer, they said.
A case has been registered against the accused Arun Kumar, who is on the run, police said, adding that efforts are on to nab him.
The motive behind the killing is yet to be ascertained.
The post-mortem of the deceased was performed today by a team of doctors in the civil hospital, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state