`Declare Punjab as drought-hit state`
Rohtak: SUCI-backed All India Krishak and Khet Mazdoor Sangathan today demanded compensation for farmers affected due to weak monsoon this year in Punjab.
The Punjab government should declare the state as drought hit, the AIKKMS demanded.
A resolution in this regard was passed at a meeting held by the AIKKMS in Jat Dharamsala at Beri town of Jhajjar.
Several farmers and labourers participated in the meeting and appealed the Punjab government to award compensation to the affected farmers.
"Farmers have reached on the verge of devastation as their almost entire crops have damaged due to the lack of rain," a spokesperson said.
With a deficit of around 80 per cent rainfall during the last two months across the state, future of farmers has come under threat as they have to bear a huge financial loss following damage to their crops, he said.
The government should announce compensation as 30 thousand per acre for drought-hit farmers, he demanded.
Besides, they also demanded providing diesel, fertilisers and power for farmers on nominal rates, waving off the agricultural loans taken for the crops, framing new policy for not to acquire agricultural land, releasing water in canal on fortnightly basis and enhancing old age pension upto Rs 1,500 per month.
A senior official has said two days back that the Punjab government has not yet declared drought in the state despite witnessing the "worst monsoon failures" this season.
"We have not declared drought at the moment (in the state)," Punjab Principal Secretary (Revenue) N S Kang said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery