`Declare Punjab as drought-hit state`
Rohtak: SUCI-backed All India Krishak and Khet Mazdoor Sangathan today demanded compensation for farmers affected due to weak monsoon this year in Punjab.
The Punjab government should declare the state as drought hit, the AIKKMS demanded.
A resolution in this regard was passed at a meeting held by the AIKKMS in Jat Dharamsala at Beri town of Jhajjar.
Several farmers and labourers participated in the meeting and appealed the Punjab government to award compensation to the affected farmers.
"Farmers have reached on the verge of devastation as their almost entire crops have damaged due to the lack of rain," a spokesperson said.
With a deficit of around 80 per cent rainfall during the last two months across the state, future of farmers has come under threat as they have to bear a huge financial loss following damage to their crops, he said.
The government should announce compensation as 30 thousand per acre for drought-hit farmers, he demanded.
Besides, they also demanded providing diesel, fertilisers and power for farmers on nominal rates, waving off the agricultural loans taken for the crops, framing new policy for not to acquire agricultural land, releasing water in canal on fortnightly basis and enhancing old age pension upto Rs 1,500 per month.
A senior official has said two days back that the Punjab government has not yet declared drought in the state despite witnessing the "worst monsoon failures" this season.
"We have not declared drought at the moment (in the state)," Punjab Principal Secretary (Revenue) N S Kang said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing