ECI amends poll expenditure monitoring guidelines
Chandigarh: Election Commission on Monday issued the amended expenditure monitoring instructions for the February 23 assembly by-poll to Moga seat in Punjab.
As per the amended ECI instructions, assistant expenditure observers, video surveillance and viewing teams for tracking illegal cash transactions and accounting teams should be in place, a spokesman of the CEO Punjab said here today.
Media certification and monitoring committee, expenditure monitoring control room with 24X7 hrs call centre and expenditure monitoring cell should also be in place, he added.
He said by-election model code of conduct would be in force in Moga district only.
If during checking any cash exceeding Rs 50 thousand is found in a vehicle carrying a candidate or his agent or election materials, any drugs, liquor, arms or gift items valued more than Rs 10,000, which are likely to be used for inducement of electorate or any other illicit articles are found in the vehicle, the same should be seized.
He said that the whole event of checking and seizing be video graphed by a team, which would submit the copy of the CD to the returning officer.
The flying squad should also be in constant touch with the official deputed by the law enforcement authorities, he added.
The by-poll to Moga seat in Punjab is scheduled on February 23 where SAD candidate Joginder Pal Jain is in direct contest with Congress nominee Vijay Sathi.
The seat fell vacant after Jain deserted the Congress and joined the SAD.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars