Ex-Punjab minister Bibi Jagir Kaur gets bail
Chandigarh: Former Punjab minister Bibi Jagir Kaur was on Thursday granted bail by the Punjab and Haryana High court about seven months after her conviction in a case for conspiring in forcible abduction, kidnapping and wrongful confinement in connection with the killing of her daughter.
Handing down the orders, a division bench of the court comprising Justice AK Mittal and Justice GS Sandhawalia directed Kaur to seek the court`s permission before going abroad, Kaur`s counsel RS Cheema said.
Kaur, a former president of Shiromani Gurdwara Prabhandak Committee (SGPC), was awarded five years imprisonment and also fined Rs 5,000 by the special CBI court of Patiala in March this year.
A day after her conviction she resigned as minister. She is presently lodged in Kapurthala jail.
In this case, three others Dalwinder Kaur Dhesi, Paramjit Singh Raipur and Nishan Singh were also convicted by the Patiala court under section 120-B (Criminal Conspiracy). The three were fined Rs 5,000 each.
Another accused Satya Devi was acquitted of all charges while another accused Sanjiv Kumar died during the trial. Harpreet had died under mysterious circumstanced during the intervening night of April 20 and 21, 2000 en route from Phagwara to Ludhiana`s Christian Medical College and Hospital.
Citing that there was "no foul play" and Harpreet Kaur`s death was natural due to fever, vomiting and severe dehydration, her post-mortem was not conducted and she was cremated in a hurried manner on April 21 at the Bibi`s home village Begowal (Kapurthala) 12 years ago.
A few days after Harpreet`s death, Kamaljit Singh, a resident of Begowal claimed that he was her husband and father of Harpreet`s stillborn child. On April 27, 2000, Kamaljit approached the Punjab and Haryana high court. On June 9, 2000, the HC directed the CBI to conduct an inquiry into the matter.
However, the CBI court had acquitted Kaur and other accused Dhesi, Raipur and Sub Inspector Nishan Singh of charge under 302 IPC (murder).
- Former Punjab minister Bibi Jagir Kaur was on Thursday granted bail by the Punjab and Haryana High court about seven months after her conviction in a case for conspiring in forcible abduction
- kidnapping and wrongful confinement in connection with the killing of her daughter.
- Bibi Jagir Kaur
- Punjab and Haryana High Court
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!