Ex-Punjab minister Bibi Jagir Kaur gets bail
Chandigarh: Former Punjab minister Bibi Jagir Kaur was on Thursday granted bail by the Punjab and Haryana High court about seven months after her conviction in a case for conspiring in forcible abduction, kidnapping and wrongful confinement in connection with the killing of her daughter.
Handing down the orders, a division bench of the court comprising Justice AK Mittal and Justice GS Sandhawalia directed Kaur to seek the court`s permission before going abroad, Kaur`s counsel RS Cheema said.
Kaur, a former president of Shiromani Gurdwara Prabhandak Committee (SGPC), was awarded five years imprisonment and also fined Rs 5,000 by the special CBI court of Patiala in March this year.
A day after her conviction she resigned as minister. She is presently lodged in Kapurthala jail.
In this case, three others Dalwinder Kaur Dhesi, Paramjit Singh Raipur and Nishan Singh were also convicted by the Patiala court under section 120-B (Criminal Conspiracy). The three were fined Rs 5,000 each.
Another accused Satya Devi was acquitted of all charges while another accused Sanjiv Kumar died during the trial. Harpreet had died under mysterious circumstanced during the intervening night of April 20 and 21, 2000 en route from Phagwara to Ludhiana`s Christian Medical College and Hospital.
Citing that there was "no foul play" and Harpreet Kaur`s death was natural due to fever, vomiting and severe dehydration, her post-mortem was not conducted and she was cremated in a hurried manner on April 21 at the Bibi`s home village Begowal (Kapurthala) 12 years ago.
A few days after Harpreet`s death, Kamaljit Singh, a resident of Begowal claimed that he was her husband and father of Harpreet`s stillborn child. On April 27, 2000, Kamaljit approached the Punjab and Haryana high court. On June 9, 2000, the HC directed the CBI to conduct an inquiry into the matter.
However, the CBI court had acquitted Kaur and other accused Dhesi, Raipur and Sub Inspector Nishan Singh of charge under 302 IPC (murder).
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
- Former Punjab minister Bibi Jagir Kaur was on Thursday granted bail by the Punjab and Haryana High court about seven months after her conviction in a case for conspiring in forcible abduction
- kidnapping and wrongful confinement in connection with the killing of her daughter.
- Bibi Jagir Kaur
- Punjab and Haryana High Court
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- A good beginning: Govt on meet between PM Modi, Sonia over GST Bill