Gurdwara shuns 1965 war hero over Blue Star taint
Chandigarh: The Government of Punjab on Monday said that it had no comment to make on a gurdwara in Sector 7 of Panchkula refusing to hold prayers to mark the death anniversary of 1965 war hero Lt Gen RS Dyal on December 30.
Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal told media here, that he could not comment on matter that essentially religious in nature.
Authorities at the gurdwara said that Lt Gen Dyal`s participation in Operation Bluestar in 1984 in which the Army flushed out and killed Sikh militants demanding a separate state of Khalistan out of the Golden Temple in Amritsar, was the reason why they refused to allow the prayers to be held.
The refusal has left the defence community of the region shocked.
A devout Sikh, Lt Gen Dyal was awarded the Maha Vir Chakra, the country`s second highest war gallantry award, for the capture of the formidable Haji Pir Pass in Jammu and Kashmir during the 1965 war with Pakistan.
He was also the chief of staff of the Western Command during Operation Bluestar and retired as General Officer Commanding in Chief of the Indian Army`s Southern Command.
He later served as the Lt Governor of Pondicherry and the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
He passed away on January 29, 2012.
His wife, Barinder Kaur Dyal said that she was shocked by the gurdwara`s refusal to allow the prayers for her late husband.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp