Infighting in BJP over Amritsar Lok Seat seat
Amritsar: The tussle in BJP over Amritsar Lok Sabha seat on Monday surfaced with a section of party`s local unit demanding that Arun Jaitley be fielded from the constituency in stead of sitting MP Navjot Singh Sidhu.
Local leadership led by Cabinet minister Anil Joshi and State General secretary Rajinder Mohan Singh Chhina along with State Secretary Tarun Chug and some BJP Municipal Councillors raised a banner of revolt against Sidhu.
BJP is a key ally of ruling SAD in Punjab. As per the seat sharing arrangement, BJP fields its candidates on three seats.
Addressing a press conference here, local leadership vehemently opposed allocating the ticket to sitting MP Sidhu while seeking ticket for senior BJP leader Arun Jaitley.
They claimed that Jaitley could be a full time worker as well politician for the larger interests of party and residents of Amritsar Parliamentary constituency.
Sidhu, who has expressed his differences against SAD patron and Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal and SAD President Sukhbir Singh Badal, had of late remained busy with shooting in a comedy show and TV commentary.
They claimed that if Jaitley contests election from Amritsar, it would also help SAD-BJP alliance to bag all the 13 Lok Sabha seats from Punjab.
"Jaitley is a star campaigner of the party and people of Punjab like him," they claimed.
Urging the party high command, the local leadership said that Jaitley has deep family roots with the Amritsar city and to win elections from here would be very easy for the party with heavy margin.
Sidhu has won the Amritsar Lok Sabha seat three times in a row.
Sidhu had raised his voice against Badal for allegedly ignoring him as his all the developmental projects for the Amritsar constituency were allegedly scuttled.
Meanwhile, Sidhu said local leadership was speaking at the instance of people sitting in the state power corridor who didn`t want him to contest elections from Amritsar once again due to his outspoken nature.
Sidhu said that "I don`t want to speak against anyone as I have regard for everyone. I have deep regard for Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, Deputy CM Sukhbir Singh Badal and his MP wife from Bathinda Harsimrat Kaur Badal".
"In the last few days, the Punjab government has begun 74 new developmental projects in Bathinda constituency whereas my Amritsar Parliamentary constituency was wilfully ignored. I am answerable to my people, my voters and Almighty but I can?t do flattery of Akali leadership like beggars," he quipped.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Father arrested for sexually abusing 2 minor girls
- New global migration map may help fight malaria
- 7th CPC: Committee of Secretaries on Allowances to meet on September 1; invites employees' unions for talks
- Nationalism is BJP's identity, our sole aim is nation-building: PM Modi
- WATCH: PRODIGY! This 11-year-old from Odisha slum will now train at Bayern Munich