Infighting in BJP over Amritsar Lok Seat seat
Amritsar: The tussle in BJP over Amritsar Lok Sabha seat on Monday surfaced with a section of party`s local unit demanding that Arun Jaitley be fielded from the constituency in stead of sitting MP Navjot Singh Sidhu.
Local leadership led by Cabinet minister Anil Joshi and State General secretary Rajinder Mohan Singh Chhina along with State Secretary Tarun Chug and some BJP Municipal Councillors raised a banner of revolt against Sidhu.
BJP is a key ally of ruling SAD in Punjab. As per the seat sharing arrangement, BJP fields its candidates on three seats.
Addressing a press conference here, local leadership vehemently opposed allocating the ticket to sitting MP Sidhu while seeking ticket for senior BJP leader Arun Jaitley.
They claimed that Jaitley could be a full time worker as well politician for the larger interests of party and residents of Amritsar Parliamentary constituency.
Sidhu, who has expressed his differences against SAD patron and Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal and SAD President Sukhbir Singh Badal, had of late remained busy with shooting in a comedy show and TV commentary.
They claimed that if Jaitley contests election from Amritsar, it would also help SAD-BJP alliance to bag all the 13 Lok Sabha seats from Punjab.
"Jaitley is a star campaigner of the party and people of Punjab like him," they claimed.
Urging the party high command, the local leadership said that Jaitley has deep family roots with the Amritsar city and to win elections from here would be very easy for the party with heavy margin.
Sidhu has won the Amritsar Lok Sabha seat three times in a row.
Sidhu had raised his voice against Badal for allegedly ignoring him as his all the developmental projects for the Amritsar constituency were allegedly scuttled.
Meanwhile, Sidhu said local leadership was speaking at the instance of people sitting in the state power corridor who didn`t want him to contest elections from Amritsar once again due to his outspoken nature.
Sidhu said that "I don`t want to speak against anyone as I have regard for everyone. I have deep regard for Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, Deputy CM Sukhbir Singh Badal and his MP wife from Bathinda Harsimrat Kaur Badal".
"In the last few days, the Punjab government has begun 74 new developmental projects in Bathinda constituency whereas my Amritsar Parliamentary constituency was wilfully ignored. I am answerable to my people, my voters and Almighty but I can?t do flattery of Akali leadership like beggars," he quipped.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble