Life imprisonment in dowry case
Patiala: A local court has sentenced a man to life imprisonment for abetting the suicide of his wife and awarded 10 years imprisonment to his mother.
Additional District and Session judge Harpreet Kaur Jeevan noted that victim Sumandeep Kaur, consumed a poisonous substance after only five months of marriage due to persistent demands for dowry from her husband, Gurwinder Singh, a resident of Gajewas village and his mother Harjeet Kaur.
The court also noted that the victim was harassed continuously after marriage, despite having met several demands of the husband`s family.
The wedding of Suman and Gurwinder took place on November 28, 2008.
Sumandeep swallowed a poisonous substance at her in-laws` house on May 6, 2009.
The judge also noted that the even victim`s parents were not informed and she was left untreated even when she consumed poison. The case of dowry death was registered in this connection.
The family members of Sumandeep had spent more than Rs 40 lakh on the marriage, her in-laws demanded Rs 20 lakh just two days before the wedding for buying a Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV) for the groom. The judgment was pronounced on Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad