Life imprisonment in dowry case
Patiala: A local court has sentenced a man to life imprisonment for abetting the suicide of his wife and awarded 10 years imprisonment to his mother.
Additional District and Session judge Harpreet Kaur Jeevan noted that victim Sumandeep Kaur, consumed a poisonous substance after only five months of marriage due to persistent demands for dowry from her husband, Gurwinder Singh, a resident of Gajewas village and his mother Harjeet Kaur.
The court also noted that the victim was harassed continuously after marriage, despite having met several demands of the husband`s family.
The wedding of Suman and Gurwinder took place on November 28, 2008.
Sumandeep swallowed a poisonous substance at her in-laws` house on May 6, 2009.
The judge also noted that the even victim`s parents were not informed and she was left untreated even when she consumed poison. The case of dowry death was registered in this connection.
The family members of Sumandeep had spent more than Rs 40 lakh on the marriage, her in-laws demanded Rs 20 lakh just two days before the wedding for buying a Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV) for the groom. The judgment was pronounced on Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16