Moga bypoll: Congress seeks deployment of central forces
Moga: Punjab Congress chief Amarinder Singh today sought deployment of central security forces at Moga for the entire by-election period beginning from the filing of the nominations right up to the day of counting.
The party will be writing to the Election Commission for the same, he said.
Police in Punjab are under tremendous pressure and demoralised by the arm twisting method of the Akalis, he told reporters. Hence, he said, it may not be possible for them to act in a fair and impartial manner.
The PCC president gave example of the incident in Amritsar where an assistant sub-inspector was killed because he had objected to eve teasing of his daughter.
The byelection was necessitated after sitting Congress MLA Joginderpal Jain resigned from Punjab Assembly to join ruling Shiromani Akali Dal. The SAD has announced to field him in the February 23 Moga by-poll.
Later addressing party leaders at a meeting, Amarinder said Moga`s people were feeling cheated by the betrayal of their MLA Joginderpal Jain who joined Akalis.
People of Moga wanted to teach Jain a lesson and Congress had provided them the best alternative in Vijay Sathi, he said.
The party presented a complete show of unity with all the party leaders being present at the meeting.
All other claimants of the party ticket from Moga including Punjab Mahila Congress president Malti Thapar, Darshan Brar and others were present at the stage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today