New campaign against fraud marriages in Punjab
New Delhi: A campaign to help and support women who are victims of fraud marriages in Punjab will be launched by Indian-origin former Canadian parliamentarian Ruby Dhalla.
Dreams For You is dedicated to building partnerships and relations with the victims, the Punjab government, local grassroots community members, business leaders, NGOs and elected members.
The campaign, set to be officially launched in Punjab next month, will focus on providing vocational training, educational and legal aid to the victims of fraud marriages.
"There is a growing trend among Indian women getting married to NRI men. Many of them become victims of fraud marriages and Punjab has a sizeable number of such women," said Dhalla, former member of the Canadian House of Commons.
Giving figures, Dhalla said even the government has not been able to address this issue effectively as the National Commission for Women (NCW) has disposed of only 30 of the 813 complaints so far.
"The sad part is that there is no database about the number of such women in the country. Many women have not even heard from their husbands for years and are raising their children alone," said Dhalla, whose family hailed from Jalandhar in Punjab.
The campaign will also tell people about the things they should look at while marrying off their daughters to NRIs.
"People must get all information about the groom, like his passport number, copy of the passport, date of birth and so on, as these are needed while filing an FIR in a case of fraud marriage. Sometime grooms only hand over copy of visa which does not have passport number or even date of birth," she said.
Initially, the campaign will be launched in Punjab and would be extended to other states later.
Dhalla is also launching a fashion label consisting of evening gowns, dresses, kurtas and kaftans and a portion of the proceeds will go for the campaign against fraud marriages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27