NRI, parents booked for dowry harassment
Hoshiarpur: A Non-Resident Indian and his parents, presently residing in Italy, were on Thursday booked for dowry harassment after the NRI`s wife lodged a complaint accusing them of subjecting her to physical and mental torture, police said.
Dalpreet Singh, his father Gurmukh and mother Santosh Kaur, who belong to Arora Colony here and presently based in Italy, were booked under various sections of IPC for torturing, maltreating and harassing Gurinder Kaur over dowry, SHO of NRI police station Daljit Singh Khakh said.
Gurinder was married to the NRI on February 25, 2006.
According to the complaint, Dalpreet and his parents harassed Gurinder and asked her to bring money from her parents. She claimed that her parents spent about Rs 15 lakh on her marriage.
"The in-laws tortured Gurinder and told her to bring Rs 3 lakh from her parents as the amount was required to make the arrangements to take her to Italy," the SHO said.
"The demand was met by Gurinder`s family, thereafter her in-laws took her to Italy," he said.
Gurinder accused that her mother-in-law took all her gold jewellery in Italy.
"In 2011, when Gurinder came to India after the death of a relative, Santosh and Gurmukh again raised a dowry demand of Rs 6 lakh to get a plot registered in Dalpreet`s name. She, however, refused to accept the demand and the entire family returned to Italy," he said.
"After reaching Italy, the husband and in-laws started torturing and maltreating Gurinder, who was pregnant," he said adding, "On the birth of a girl child, they thrashed Gurinder and sent her back to India this year," the SHO said.
After waiting for few months, Gurinder decided to lodge a police complaint against her husband and in-laws, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre