NRI, parents booked for dowry harassment
Hoshiarpur: A Non-Resident Indian and his parents, presently residing in Italy, were on Thursday booked for dowry harassment after the NRI`s wife lodged a complaint accusing them of subjecting her to physical and mental torture, police said.
Dalpreet Singh, his father Gurmukh and mother Santosh Kaur, who belong to Arora Colony here and presently based in Italy, were booked under various sections of IPC for torturing, maltreating and harassing Gurinder Kaur over dowry, SHO of NRI police station Daljit Singh Khakh said.
Gurinder was married to the NRI on February 25, 2006.
According to the complaint, Dalpreet and his parents harassed Gurinder and asked her to bring money from her parents. She claimed that her parents spent about Rs 15 lakh on her marriage.
"The in-laws tortured Gurinder and told her to bring Rs 3 lakh from her parents as the amount was required to make the arrangements to take her to Italy," the SHO said.
"The demand was met by Gurinder`s family, thereafter her in-laws took her to Italy," he said.
Gurinder accused that her mother-in-law took all her gold jewellery in Italy.
"In 2011, when Gurinder came to India after the death of a relative, Santosh and Gurmukh again raised a dowry demand of Rs 6 lakh to get a plot registered in Dalpreet`s name. She, however, refused to accept the demand and the entire family returned to Italy," he said.
"After reaching Italy, the husband and in-laws started torturing and maltreating Gurinder, who was pregnant," he said adding, "On the birth of a girl child, they thrashed Gurinder and sent her back to India this year," the SHO said.
After waiting for few months, Gurinder decided to lodge a police complaint against her husband and in-laws, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city