Panchayat poll candidate caught distributing fake currency
Morigaon: An independent candidate for the ongoing Panchayat polls in Assam was caught red handed when he was distributing fake currency notes among the voters in south Dharamtul gaon panchayat constituency on Sunday.
Violating the election model code of conduct, Dhushmanta Das was distributing the fake notes in the early hours when he was apprehended, police said.
While he was being taken to Jagiroad police station, his supporters clashed with the security forces, prompting police to lathicharge and fire seven rounds in the air to disperse them, they said.
No injury was reported.
The situation was brought under control and police recovered five fake currencies with a face value of Rs 1,000 and ten fake notes of Rs 500 denomination.
A decision is yet to be taken on Das`s poll fate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'