Panchayat poll candidate caught distributing fake currency
Morigaon: An independent candidate for the ongoing Panchayat polls in Assam was caught red handed when he was distributing fake currency notes among the voters in south Dharamtul gaon panchayat constituency on Sunday.
Violating the election model code of conduct, Dhushmanta Das was distributing the fake notes in the early hours when he was apprehended, police said.
While he was being taken to Jagiroad police station, his supporters clashed with the security forces, prompting police to lathicharge and fire seven rounds in the air to disperse them, they said.
No injury was reported.
The situation was brought under control and police recovered five fake currencies with a face value of Rs 1,000 and ten fake notes of Rs 500 denomination.
A decision is yet to be taken on Das`s poll fate.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump