Petition against Punjab DGP dismissed
Chandigarh: After reserving its judgment for over two months, the Punjab and Haryana High Court on Thursday dismissed a petition filed against the appointment of Sumedh Singh Saini as Punjab`s Director General of Police (DGP).
A division bench of Chief Justice Arun Kumar Sikri and Justice Rakesh Kumar Jain dismissed the public interest litigation (PIL) in this regard. The bench had reserved its judgment Feb 4. The petition was filed by an NGO, Voices for Freedom, April 2012.
However, while rejecting the claim of the NGO, the high court had taken suo moto notice of the issue saying that the issue was of "substantial importance".
The petition had challenged the appointment of Saini as the DGP by the Punjab government March, 2012 saying he had criminal cases pending against him in various courts.
The petition had pointed out that the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) had charge-sheeted Saini and others on serious charges like abduction for murder, wrongful restraint and criminal conspiracy.
Three people, including two businessmen of Ludhiana were abducted in the city. Their whereabouts were never known and their family suspected that they were killed. The family had accused senior Punjab police officers for involvement in the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing