Political parties gear up for Jor Mela in Punjab
Fatehgarh Sahib: Major political parties in Punjab are going all out to make their conferences during the annual Jor Mela, beginning here on Tuesday, a show of strength, and to woo voters ahead of the 2014 Lok Sabha polls.
Former Punjab Finance Minister Manpreet Singh Badal-led People`s Party of Punjab (PPP) will be organising its first political conference during the Mela, party sources said.
The party is organising its political conference near Gurdwara Jyoti Swarup, they said.
With political conferences at the Mela scheduled for December 26, the SAD and the Congress leaders are leaving no stone unturned to make their conference a show of strength and to woo voters ahead of the Lok Sabha polls.
Splinter Akali factions, too, will also hold separate conferences.
SAD (Badal) general secretary Prem Singh Chandumajra told reporters that the entire state cadre of the party would take part in the Mela and elaborate preparations have been made for it.
The principal opposition party of the state, Congress, too wants to make the most of the occasion, though its primary focus, said sources, would be on bringing all its leaders - Capt Amarinder Singh, Rajinder Kaur Bhathal, Sunil Kumar Jakhar, Shamsher Singh Dullo and Jagmeet Singh Brar - on a common platform.
According to Congress leaders associated with the arrangements for the event, party activists from Fatehgarh Sahib and surrounding districts have been assigned the task of mobilising workers.
Punjab state Congress president Partap Singh Bajwa said, "We have sent invites to all our leaders. We expect a huge gathering."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur