Political parties gear up for Jor Mela in Punjab
Fatehgarh Sahib: Major political parties in Punjab are going all out to make their conferences during the annual Jor Mela, beginning here on Tuesday, a show of strength, and to woo voters ahead of the 2014 Lok Sabha polls.
Former Punjab Finance Minister Manpreet Singh Badal-led People`s Party of Punjab (PPP) will be organising its first political conference during the Mela, party sources said.
The party is organising its political conference near Gurdwara Jyoti Swarup, they said.
With political conferences at the Mela scheduled for December 26, the SAD and the Congress leaders are leaving no stone unturned to make their conference a show of strength and to woo voters ahead of the Lok Sabha polls.
Splinter Akali factions, too, will also hold separate conferences.
SAD (Badal) general secretary Prem Singh Chandumajra told reporters that the entire state cadre of the party would take part in the Mela and elaborate preparations have been made for it.
The principal opposition party of the state, Congress, too wants to make the most of the occasion, though its primary focus, said sources, would be on bringing all its leaders - Capt Amarinder Singh, Rajinder Kaur Bhathal, Sunil Kumar Jakhar, Shamsher Singh Dullo and Jagmeet Singh Brar - on a common platform.
According to Congress leaders associated with the arrangements for the event, party activists from Fatehgarh Sahib and surrounding districts have been assigned the task of mobilising workers.
Punjab state Congress president Partap Singh Bajwa said, "We have sent invites to all our leaders. We expect a huge gathering."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list