Punjab Assembly meet on May 3 to discuss wealth tax on farmers
Chandigarh: A special session of the Punjab Assembly will be held on May 3 to discuss the "extremely dangerous and critical situation" in the wake of the Centre`s decision to impose wealth tax on farmers owning land within 8 km of urban areas.
At an emergency meeting on last Friday, the Punjab cabinet had rejected the Centre`s decision to levy wealth tax on farmers.
The meeting, chaired by Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, passed a resolution urging the Centre to immediately withdraw the tax, saying, "the farming community in Punjab was already reeling under a burden of debt to the tune of over Rs 37,000 crore."
The resolution had requested the Governor to convene an emergency session of the Assembly on May 3 to discuss the "extremely dangerous and critical situation that has arisen out of the Centre`s decision to impose wealth tax on agriculture lands."
It had noted that the move would deal a blow to the national economy on the whole.
Former Chief Minister and PCC chief Amarinder Singh has also strongly protested the imposition of wealth tax on agriculture land.
An official order today said Governor Shivraj Patil has summoned the Assembly to meet here on May 3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued