Punjab Assembly meet on May 3 to discuss wealth tax on farmers
Chandigarh: A special session of the Punjab Assembly will be held on May 3 to discuss the "extremely dangerous and critical situation" in the wake of the Centre`s decision to impose wealth tax on farmers owning land within 8 km of urban areas.
At an emergency meeting on last Friday, the Punjab cabinet had rejected the Centre`s decision to levy wealth tax on farmers.
The meeting, chaired by Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, passed a resolution urging the Centre to immediately withdraw the tax, saying, "the farming community in Punjab was already reeling under a burden of debt to the tune of over Rs 37,000 crore."
The resolution had requested the Governor to convene an emergency session of the Assembly on May 3 to discuss the "extremely dangerous and critical situation that has arisen out of the Centre`s decision to impose wealth tax on agriculture lands."
It had noted that the move would deal a blow to the national economy on the whole.
Former Chief Minister and PCC chief Amarinder Singh has also strongly protested the imposition of wealth tax on agriculture land.
An official order today said Governor Shivraj Patil has summoned the Assembly to meet here on May 3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead